WebElements installation and Windows 7

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

WebElements installation and Windows 7

Postby robb » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:11 am

Has anyone tried to install WebElements on Windows 7? Some of the settings in the txt file that comes with the installation don't seem to exist such as the user name and the IIS settings. I have IIS installed but i keep getting the error 'Cannot retrieve data from IIS metabase'. Also WebElements Customizer always comes up with a 'Not Enough Memory' error although it then loads.
robb

Re: WebElements installation and Windows 7

Postby MarkP » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:53 pm

I cannot remember how to get around this off the top of my head, it's being a while since i've ran WebElements and i currently do not have a copy of Ffenics to refresh my memory. I do believe i activated the hidden administrator account (Win7 + Vista) and created a "Strong" password for it, to install WebElements.

In Command Prompt: net user administrator /active:yes

Some other things to check out for:

The I_USR account has access to the application directory

The com settings have being followed in the read me

Make sure that IIS and ASP are installed, all that are needed are not installed by default // Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Turn Windows features On or Off

If i can think of anything else that applies, i wil add to this thread.

Regards,

Mark
MarkP

Postby Graham Smith » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:49 pm

IIS 6 in Windows 7 is considerably different and more complicated than it was in Win XP. As a result, pretty much everything has changed.

I've been working on this using a guide for installing on Win Server 2008 and have worked out a solution for Windows 7 32bit. This should also work on 64bit but that has not been tested.

There are few things yet to be confirmed but if you are interested in having a go yourself, send me a PM with your email address.

Please bear in mind that IIS has become extremely complicated and some of the things in it can be done more than one way. In addition, some things look very similar to each other but are not. Setting up IIS and Web Elements is not for the casual player.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Pete Tabord » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:36 am

I can confirm it does work on Windows 7 64bit, although I wouldn't like to describe exactly what steps were necessary and which weren't. We have also installed it successfully on Windows 8 64 bit.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Return to Ffenics WebElements